Thursday 16 June 2011

Back in the game

When I learned that City would be doing the 23 Things and that a blog would be the first Thing, I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to learn more about what my colleagues whom I do not get to see that often were thinking about. I felt that I could glean from them some useful nuggets of knowledge about Web 2.0 in relation to libraries, and it would give me to share some of my own experiences.

And so, after a week of procratination, I fired up the old Blogger account and began what my dashboard tells me is my 6th blog. Honestly, it has been an age, at least in Internet terms, since I've even thought about blogging. The last time that I even looked at my Blogger dashboard was in January of 2010 when I used it to complete coursework for a module on IT skills toward my MSc.

You may scoff at how trivial an Internet Age sounds, but consider this: in the time that I have last checked Blogger
  • Haiti suffered massive, irrevocable damage in the form of a 7.0-magnitude earthquake
  • The American Gulf Coast was severely damaged in the BP Oil Spill
  • European air traffic was ground to a halt due to the massive ash cloud created by an Icelandic volcano
  • The Greek economy collapsed and consequently was bailed out by the IMF and the EU
  • The world started debating how much information could be safely disclosed when the website wikileaks became well-known after it released internal videos related to US operations in Afghanistan
  • US senator Gabrielle Giffords survived a gunshot wound to the head in a shooting in Tuscon, Arizona
  • Japan suffered a devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster
Doesn't it seem like a lot of that happened a long time ago? Not once since the earthquake in Haiti to the recently release of government's plans to change the NHS, did I check my Blogger account. I am, at best, a sporadic and inconsistent blogger. One might even use the words 'fickle' or 'fair-weathered' to describe my blogging habits. I do not deny this fact: I am lazy when it comes to blogs.

However, dear reader, I am going to commit to posting at least two more times. Yes, not one, but two more times. Of the five other blogs I have ever started, that tops the charts at number 2 for most posts.

Consider yourself warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment